Niche Guidelines for Reporting and Removing Content
There is a “Report” link next to all user generated content on Niche that allows Niche visitors to report any content as inaccurate or offensive. Niche may, at its sole discretion, review and evaluate reported content on a case-by-case basis. The most fundamental aspect of our service is to be a platform for people to share their experiences at each school, workplace, or neighborhood and read about the experiences of others. We do not filter or remove negative reviews. We only remove reviews in the event that they fail to meet our user content guidelines, as set out below. This is an essential policy in order to maintain trust with our users and to remain an objective and unbiased third party.
The following are the only circumstances in which we will consider removing a review:
- Inappropriate Content: Review includes offensive language, in particular, language that contains racism/bigotry/hate speech.
- Personal Information: Review references specific personal information in a review – e.g. email address, birthdate, etc.
- Criticism of Individuals: Review negatively references an individual by name.
- Specific Crimes: Review references a specific crime being committed. Note that generalizations like “drugs are a problem on campus” or “no one here works the full hours they are supposed to” do not qualify as a specific crime.
- Threats of Harm: Review references specific threat of harm to self or others.
- Gibberish: Review is clearly gibberish or unintelligible (e.g., poem, song lyrics, random letters).
- Third-Party Links: Review includes links to other webpages.
- Clear Inaccuracy: Review is written about the wrong place. Must be obvious and indisputable – e.g., The review talks about going to school or workplace in Ohio when the school or workplace is located in Florida.
- Uninformed Reviewer: Reviewer clearly indicates they do not know about the place/topic they are reviewing:
- Q: How is Greek life? A: I’m not involved in Greek life.
- Q: Rate your overall experience. A: I don’t know…
- Intellectual Property: Review includes information subject to copyright or trademark protection of others.
- Advertising Content: Review includes blatant advertising or promotional content.